Adding a Data Series
Now we need to add the average value to the chart as a new series. Select the chart. Under the Design menu tab of the Chart Tools section, click on Select Data.
In the dialog that appears, click the Add button under Legend Entries to add the Average Value series.
Excel will provide an Edit Series dialog to specify the name of the series and the location of the values. For Series Name, we can type in the title directly:
For Series Values, you can specify the two cells that contain the average values calculation. In the example, this will be:
We’ll be back here later once we change these values to a line…
Get the latest Excel tips and tricks by joining the newsletter!
Andrew Roberts has been solving business problems with Microsoft Excel for over a decade. Excel Tactics is dedicated to helping you master it. You can read more of his writing on his personal blog at NapkinMath.io.
Join the newsletter to stay on top of the latest articles. Sign up and you'll get a free guide with 10 time-saving keyboard shortcuts!
Other posts in this series...
- Save a Broken Chart with Switch Columns/Rows in Chart Tools
- Build a Better, Cleaner, More Professional Line Chart
- How To Add an Average Value Line to a Bar Chart
- How to Add a Vertical Line to a Horizontal Bar Chart
- How to Add Totals to Stacked Charts for Readability
- How to Show Percentages in Stacked Bar and Column Charts
- Building Charts with Multiple Series and Custom X-Axis
- How to Create Waterfall Charts in Excel